From childhood, I always enjoyed a good mystery. Clue was my favorite board game and scavenger hunts were adored. What started my obsession with mysteries? I’m not sure exactly, but if forced to hazard a guess I’d say Nancy Drew, Encyclopedia Brown, and Cam Jansen are responsible. All characters in mystery series of my childhood, they inspired my love for the “Whodunnit”.
Series writing is great because after a while, the characters begin to feel like extensions of my family or circle of friends–I love the familiarity! I still enjoy mystery series today–they are fun, quick, and great for in-the-car listening. A few of my favorite ‘sleuths’ (for not all of them are technically detectives) are:
- Archy McNally (Lawrence Sanders/Vincent Lardo)
- Stephanie Plum (Janet Evanovich)
- Jim Qwilleran (Lilian Jackson Braun)
- Alex Delaware and Milo Sturgis (Jonathan Kellerman)
- Kay Scarpetta and Pete Marino (Patricia Cornwell)
- Kinsey Milhone (Sue Grafton)
Does the mystery genre do it for you? Any suggestions for great series detectives I’ve missed? I hate to admit it, but I never got into Sherlock Holmes or any Agatha Christie (except the movie versions of Hercule Poirot with Peter Ustinov).